Foam Concrete is an ideal low cost building material.
- Does not rot
- Long lasting
- Easy to make
- Low cost compared to other building materials and methods
- Good Thermal Insulation & sound damping (depending on density)
- Not affected by rodent or insects
- Strong enough to be used in load bearing walls ( Depending on local requirements)
- Low labour input compared to most building methods
- Low need for specialist knowledge and skill
- Eco friendly material and can be 100% recycled
Due to its properties, the floor, walls and roof, all made from FC, create a well insulated, healthy home. This saves on material and labor cost.
Depending on the construction method the cost compared to a “conventional” building method and materials the saving can be up to 70%, but this is different for every country and how a “conventional” building is made.
The used construction methods are the same as for “normal” concrete, but the advantage is that FC has a better thermal insulation factor, is sound damping, after curing it is easily cut, the inner and outer surface needs only a coat of paint.
The construction methods that used are:
- Blocks, made by the DIY or in a factory
- Panels, small ones DIY, larger modular systems or custom made
- Pour on site using form-work
- Only one material needed to construct floor, walls and the roof of a home
- Reducing the waste created.
- Less time needed to build the home. Fewer different labour skills needed.
- Environmentally friendly material
See construction methods under the construction page
Local conditions determines the most economical method
An alternative in eco building, check this site out: